[ byoo-tuh-fuhl ]
/ ˈbyu tə fəl /
SEE SYNONYMS FOR beautiful ON THESAURUS.COM
having beauty; possessing qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.
excellent of its kind: a beautiful putt on the seventh hole; The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef.
wonderful; very pleasing or satisfying.
the concept of beauty (usually preceded by the).
(used with a plural verb)beautiful things or people collectively (usually preceded by the): the good and the beautiful.
the ideal of beauty (usually preceded by the): to strive to attain the beautiful.
wonderful; fantastic: You got two front-row seats? Beautiful!
extraordinary; incredible: used ironically: Your car broke down in the middle of the freeway? Beautiful!
Words nearby beautiful
beauport, beauregard, beaut, beauteous, beautician, beautiful, beautiful people, beautifully, beautify, beauty, beauty contest
Origin of beautiful
First recorded in 1520–30;beauty + -ful
OTHER WORDS FROM beautifulbeau·ti·ful·ly, adverbbeau·ti·ful·ness, nounun·beau·ti·ful, adjectiveun·beau·ti·ful·ly, adverb
synonym study for beautiful
1. Beautiful,handsome,lovely,pretty refer to a pleasing appearance. A person or thing that is beautiful has perfection of form, color, etc., or noble and spiritual qualities: a beautiful landscape, a beautiful woman.Handsome often implies stateliness or pleasing proportion and symmetry: a handsome man. That which is lovely is beautiful but in a warm and endearing way: a lovely smile.Pretty implies a moderate but noticeable beauty, especially in that which is small or of minor importance: a pretty child.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
Examples from the Web for beautiful
Its beautifully aged wooden exterior houses traditional floor seating and beautiful gardens typical of the area.
Inside The World’s 10 Oldest Restaurants|Justin Jones|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
She lifted the dress, and the beautiful pearl ornaments, and held them up to the light.
The Fatal Glove|Clara Augusta Jones Trask
Yet, the next morning, when I went down upon the shore, how beautiful it looked—the hypocrite!
Sketches in Canada, and rambles among the red men|Anna Brownell Jameson
Over in her corner, between young Billings and the interloper, Stuart, Sue was having a beautiful time.
Blue Bonnet in Boston|Caroline E. Jacobs
His face was so beautiful in the moonlight that the little Swallow was filled with pity.
Children's Literature|Charles Madison Curry
It was a perfect lagoon island, consisting of a circle of land of a light clay colour, the lagoon of a beautiful blue tint.
The Cruise of the Dainty|William H. G. Kingston
British Dictionary definitions for beautiful
possessing beauty; aesthetically pleasing
highly enjoyable; very pleasantthe party was beautiful
Derived forms of beautifulbeautifulness, noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Words related to beautiful
alluring, cute, fascinating, magnificent, marvelous, graceful, fine, dazzling, superb, wonderful, delightful, pretty, grand, lovely, gorgeous, stunning, charming, good-looking, delicate, handsome
- How is SIBO diagnosed
- What colors do onions come in
- What is drive sharing in networking
- How do I remove eyelash extensions
- What would happen if you inhaled Argon
- What does Judges 1 17 mean
- Is Nasa a private company?no_redirect=1
- Are Dutch girls short in Maastricht
- What are actual hippies like
- Solar Panels vs Solar Roof
- Is Vietnam a country or state
- Are cryptocurrency markets safe
- Is Jaipur an overcrowded city
- What company used growth hacking effectively
- What is a creative strategist
- How can I be the best salesperson
- Can robots actually become self aware
- Does Hobby Lobby drug test employees