SEE SYNONYMS FOR raw ON THESAURUS.COM
uncooked, as articles of food: a raw carrot.
not having undergone processes of preparing, dressing, finishing, refining, or manufacture: raw cotton.
unnaturally or painfully exposed, as flesh, by removal of the skin or natural integument.
painfully open, as a sore or wound.
crude in quality or character; not tempered or refined by art or taste: raw humor.
ignorant, inexperienced, or untrained: a raw recruit.
brutally or grossly frank: a raw portrayal of human passions.
brutally harsh or unfair: a raw deal; receiving raw treatment from his friends.
disagreeably damp and chilly, as the weather or air: a raw, foggy day at the beach.
not diluted, as alcoholic spirits: raw whiskey.
unprocessed or unevaluated: raw data.
a sore or irritated place, as on the flesh.
unrefined sugar, oil, etc.
Words nearby raw
raving, ravioli, ravish, ravishing, ravishment, raw, raw bar, raw deal, raw fibers, raw material, raw milk
Idioms for raw
- in the natural, uncultivated, or unrefined state: nature in the raw.
- Informal.in the nude; naked: sunbathing in the raw.
Origin of raw
before 1000;Middle English;Old Englishhrēaw, hrǣw; cognate with Dutchrauw,Germanroh; akin to Latincrūdus raw (see crude), cruor blood, Greekkréas raw flesh
OTHER WORDS FROM raw
raw·ish, adjectiveraw·ish·ness, nounraw·ly, adverbraw·ness, noun
half-raw, adjectivesem·i·raw, adjectivesem·i·raw·ly, adverbsem·i·raw·ness, noun
synonym study for raw
2. Raw,crude,rude refer to something not in a finished or highly refined state. Raw applies particularly to material not yet changed by a process, by manufacture, or by preparation for consumption: raw cotton; raw leather.Crude refers to that which still needs refining: crude petroleum.Rude refers to what is still in a condition of rough simplicity or in a makeshift or roughly made form: rude agricultural implements; the rude bridge that arched the flood.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
Examples from the Web for rawness
But Slutever, with its rawness, honesty, and self-deprecating humor, was something different.
Is This Dildo-Licking, Dominatrix-Loving Vogue Blogger the New Face of Feminism?|Lizzie Crocker|May 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Now I think that many are beginning to experience the rawness of the trauma, emptiness, and loss.
Newtown’s Pastor, Three Months Later|Joshua DuBois|March 24, 2013|DAILY BEAST
There was a rawness and impolitic honesty to his shows, many of which could make your heart weep.
Louis Vuitton, Chanel, McQueen Cap Paris Spring 2013 Fashion Week Shows|Robin Givhan|October 3, 2012|DAILY BEAST
For the first time, she really tasted the rawness, the exhaustion, and the exhilaration of the family business.
Caroline: The Reasons Why|Tina Brown|January 5, 2009|DAILY BEAST
British Dictionary definitions for rawness
(of food) not cookedraw onion
(prenominal)in an unfinished, natural, or unrefined state; not treated by manufacturing or other processesraw materials for making steel; raw brick
(of an edge of material) unhemmed; liable to fray
(of the skin, a wound, etc) having the surface exposed or abraded, esp painfully
ignorant, inexperienced, or immaturea raw recruit
(prenominal)not selected or modifiedraw statistics
frank or realistica raw picture of the breakdown of a marriage
(of spirits) undiluted
mainlyUScoarse, vulgar, or obscene
mainlyUSrecently done; freshraw paintwork
(of the weather) harshly cold and damp
informalunfair; unjust (esp in the phrase a raw deal)
the rawBritishinformala sensitive pointhis criticism touched me on the raw
- informalwithout clothes; naked
- in a natural or unmodified statelife in the raw
Derived forms of rawrawish, adjectiverawly, adverbrawness, noun
Word Origin for raw
Old English hreaw; related to Old High German hrao, Old Norse hrār raw, Latin cruor thick blood, Greek kreas meat
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Medical definitions for rawness
Having subcutaneous tissue exposed.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Idioms and Phrases with rawness
In addition to the idiom beginning with raw
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.
- What is A procurement service
- What is protonation
- How is an RV roof repair installed
- What is a psychopath most proud of
- What is the circumference of a cylinder
- Who is best teacher of our life
- What are the most popular cat names
- What is meant by multimedia
- Why are Kashmiri people turning into terrorists
- Do fitness trackers improve health
- What should business owners remember
- Can a novice build a chatbot
- Do people in Colombia celebrate Easter
- What is the cure for anemic action
- Why do Turks love Ataturk so much
- Can Google ban you from searching
- What is a wavefront in physics
- What are antimatter and dark matter
- Should I buy a secondhand Duke 390