How It Works
A company lists its assets on its balance sheet. Common asset categories include cash and cash equivalents; accounts receivable; inventory; prepaid expenses; and property and equipment. Although physical assets commonly come to mind when one thinks of assets, not all assets are tangible. Trademarks and patents are examples of intangible assets.
[InvestingAnswers Feature: Ten Things You Need to Know About Every Balance Sheet]
Assets are presented on the balance sheet in order of their liquidity. Current assets, which are expected to be consumed or converted to cash within one year, are listed at the top. Cash, short-term investments and inventory are examples of current assets.
Long-term assets, or fixed assets, are expected to be consumed or converted to cash after one year's time, and they are listed on the balance sheet beneath current assets. Property (such as office space or buildings) and equipment are common long-term assets.
Investors buy assets with the understanding that assets should hold, or even better, grow their economic value over time. Common asset classes for individual investors include stocks, bonds, cash, foreign currencies, collectibles, precious metals, real estate and commodities. A collection of assets is called a "portfolio," and it is widely believed that an individual's portfolio should include assets from several different categories, a process called "asset allocation."
- What makes USA a business friendly country
- What is BSP in real estate
- What is the weather like in Illinois
- Is Ranbir Kapoor introvert
- Have you ever met a great woman
- Are Indians bad at obeying traffic rules
- What is the full form of COPU
- What is the definition of happiness
- How is H3PO4 Lewis structured
- Should US be afraid of jihadists
- How powerful was Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj
- Where do hotels buy their cosmetic products
- What are common web servers
- Can I put matte over tampered glass
- How did you gain leadership experience
- What are the top ten medicine companies
- Has anyone tried Hairfluence hair vitamins