How much rice is one serving will vary depending on appetites and what else is being served. As a general guideline—that you can adjust up and down, knowing appetites and what’s on the menu—the following are good starting points:
Main Dish — 1 serving of rice = 1 cup (cooked)
If rice is part of the main dish, as with Spanish Rice, Jambalaya, as a base for Beef Stroganoff or if a rice salad (see my recipe) is the main dish, allow 1 cup of cooked rice per person. See the table below for amounts of uncooked rice of different types to make one cup when cooked.
Side Dish — 1 serving of rice = 1/2 cup (cooked)
If that same rice salad is being served as an accompaniment to another main dish, or if rice is being served as a stand-alone side dish or otherwise as a side dish, generally allow 1/2 cup of cooked rice per person.
However, if you’re trying to “fill up” a big eater before they devour everything in sight, allow 1 cup or rice or even more as a “side dish.”
Literally thousands of individual strains of rice exist, and each one cooks slightly differently. The table below isn’t designed to go into all the fine distinctions between types of rice, but it will get you in the right ballpark if you don’t have any other information on how to cook the rice you have. Always cook rice with the pan lid on. Times refer to the time after the water comes to a boil (and you turn it down to simmer).
|Cook Time |
|White long grain||1||2||15 – 20||3|
|White medium grain||1||2||10 – 15||2-2/3|
|Brown||1||2-1/2||45 – 55||3-1/2 +|
|Wild rice||1||3||30 – 45||3-1/2 +|
If you wish, you can add 1/4 teaspoon salt per serving (using bouillon powder or part of a cube will add more flavor with less salt) and 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil per serving.
You can also cook rice in a thermos — it takes longer, but keeps the heat and steam out of the kitchen. Learn how.
Want over 800 boat-friendly recipes, substitution lists and tips for cooking on a boat?
Check out The Boat Galley Cookbook on Amazon.
Find this helpful? Share and save:
Filed Under: Food & CookingTagged With: Cooking Tips
- How do cough suppressants work
- Can we solve problems without algorithms
- Where can I find classical Chinese music
- Why isnt money bad
- Why is earth not a perfect circle?no_redirect=1
- What is namerslv in TCP IP
- Whats the best stereoscopic 3d camera
- How is Belfast
- Is chemistry a bad major career wise
- Are adults more understanding than children
- What should I search on the internet
- What are deworming medicines for cats
- What are baseless conspiracy theories
- What made Illinois politicians so corrupt
- What is the commonest Igbo female name
- Why was the Brazil nut called this
- Will there be meat in heaven