Better than Dominos! For a truly religious Garlic Bread experience, skip the fancy bread and use a basic French baguette. And don’t even think about skimping on butter!
You can’t order pizza without a side of garlic bread. It would be like ordering a burger at Maccers with no fries. (Oh the sacrilege, talking about so much fast food in one post! 🙈)
And while some people dive straight for the biggest slice of pizza, I always – ALWAYS – go for the garlic bread first.
Who’s with me here??? 🙋🏻♀️
How to make garlic bread
There are many ways to make garlic bread. But for me, the Dominos way will always be the best way: a baguette sliced almost all the way through, then each piece slathered with garlic butter, wrapped in foil and baked until toasty.
My garlic butter is made with 2 tsp freshly minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 125g / 1 stick butter. The perfect garlic-salty balance!
Best bread for garlic bread
For a truly epic, classic Garlic Bread experience, my one firm rule I’ll never budget on is this:
NO FANCY BREAD ALLOWED
In my world, classic Garlic Bread should always be made with stock standard supermarket or basic bakery French stick / baguette. The crust isn’t that thick, and it’s usually pretty soft rather than crispy. Once slathered with butter and baked in foil, I find it yields the perfect ratio of crust crunch to soft, warm, garlic butter soaked bread.
On the other hand, a thick crust like you get with fancy artisan baguettes is no good – too much crispy crust compared to soft bread inside. Too hard to swallow!
Basic French stick is perfect. See? 😍
Fresh garlic is essential!
Bread aside, I only have one other rule: please use real garlic. As much as I will rip into Dominos and Pizza Hut garlic bread with enthusiasm, there’s no denying that it has an element of sourness to it which is probably due to using jarred garlic because that’s the main difference I notice between fresh and jarred garlic. From the preservatives, I expect.
Hence why homemade will always be so much better than Dominos. 🙂 Because the garlic is real and fresh!!
Homemade Garlic Bread.
Completely, utterly, ridiculously, insanely, can’t-stop-eating-it delicious.
Put a juicy, perfectly cooked steak and Garlic Bread in front of me, and I’d choose the Garlic Bread every time, any day and twice on Sunday.
These photos are killing me. Gotta stop looking at them! – Nagi x
What to serve with Garlic Bread
Better-than-Dominos Garlic Bread
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Originally published March 2018. Updated with housekeeping matters April 2019 – no change to recipe.
THE “OTHER” GARLIC BREAD
Just in case you missed it, here’s my “other” garlic bread – Cheese & Garlic Crack Bread. Aptly named as such because of how it’s cut and also because it’s said to be garlic bread…. on crack! A bit of fun, great for sharing and ridiculously addictive.
LIFE OF DOZER
Little souvenir from Tokyo. He’s not a fan. I think he prefers cotton to polyester. Yeah, that’s the problem. For sure. 🤣
PS I had a vision of making him wear this for every “Life of Dozer” photo for Asian recipes. That’s how I justified this “business cost”….. Poor, poor Dozer…..
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Better-Than-Dominos Garlic Bread
- 1French stick / baguette, ~ 60cm / 2ft long (Note 1)
- 125 g / 1 US stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2tspfresh garlic, minced (~3 - 4 cloves, pack the teaspoon)
- 2tspfinely chopped parsley(optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Cut the French stick in half. Then cut the bread almost all the way through into 2cm / 4/5" thick slices.
- Mix together the butter, garlic, salt and parsley. Taste to see if it's salty / garlicky enough for your taste (Note 2).
- Smear garlic butter over cut side of bread (Note 2).
- Smear remaining butter on the top and sides of the bread.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is crispy (check through foil).
- How can I turn 10 into 100
- Who Are Industrial Lubricant manufacturers in India
- Should you put wool in a dryer
- Whats the difference between can and should
- Are PET Scans dangerous
- Should the USA be bilingual
- How does California tax rental income
- Is Fairy Tail a good anime 1
- What does milk thistle do for dogs
- What are some cheap longboards for beginners
- Can a Hindu chant a sikh mantra
- How does digital twin technology work
- Which branch is the best in RAIT
- Could you summarize Spinozas Ethics
- Does God really like praise
- Why do we choose to be cynical