Learn why people trust wikiHow
How to Get an American Express Platinum Card
Meeting The Eligibility RequirementsApplying For The Platinum CardArticle SummaryQuestions & AnswersRelated ArticlesReferences
This article was co-authored by Michael R. Lewis. Michael R. Lewis is a retired corporate executive, entrepreneur, and investment advisor in Texas. He has over 40 years of experience in business and finance, including as a Vice President for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. He has a BBA in Industrial Management from the University of Texas at Austin.
There are 7 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
The American Express Platinum Card offers a higher level of benefits than American Express Green and Gold Cards. The benefits include a point reward system, four free companion airline tickets per year, airport club access and round-the-clock Platinum Card Concierge service to assist with travel and gift purchases. The Platinum Card is popular with frequent travelers and with travelers to luxury destinations. While the company originally offered the charge card to existing American Express customers with a 2-year account history, new customers can now complete a Platinum Card application online.
Part 1Meeting The Eligibility Requirements
Confirm you meet the age requirements. You must be over 21 years of age to obtain the American Express Platinum Card. Additional cardholders must be over the age of 18.
2Obtain your credit report and credit score. Because American Express Platinum is a premium card, it will require a higher than usual credit score to obtain acceptance
- A credit score of 720 or over -- which is considered good -- will greatly boost your odds of acceptance. The average score for those approved for the American Express Platinum card, according to Creditkarma.com, is approximately 716, with the lowest score being 643. Only 26% of those approved had a credit score of below 700
3Bring any current credit accounts into good standing. If your credit score is below 700, try improving your credit score to maximize odds of approval.
- Pay down outstanding balances to less than 30 percent of the available credit. Your balance divided by your credit limit is known as the "credit utilization ratio", and keeping at 30% or less can greatly enhance your credit score.
- Always pay bills on time to boost your credit rating and to increase the chances of approval for your charge card application. Timely payment history makes up 35% of your credit score so make sure you have no late or skipped payments 
- Dispute any errors on your credit report that may lower your credit score.
- Increase your credit limit. Although this sounds strange, boosting your credit limit can lower your credit utilization ratio. Make sure however you do not use the additional space, otherwise you can easily reduce your odds of getting approved for the Platinum card significantly.
4Ensure you can afford the Platinum Card's annual fee. Since the Platinum card offers extensive rewards, it charges a US$450 annual fee to users.
- Since the Platinum card is a charge card, ensure that you can always pay your monthly balances in full. Keep in mind that there is a difference between a charge card and a credit card. Unlike a traditional credit card, charge cards do not have a credit limit, and the entire balance must be paid at the end of the current month. In the case of American Express Platinum, failure to pay results in a late fee of $38 or 2.99% on the past due amount, whichever is greater. 
5Check the American Express website for the particular country you are in to verify any additional eligibility requirements. Different countries have different eligibility requirements, and checking them beforehand can save time.
- While the U.S. American Express Platinum website does not specify any eligibility requirements, if you are a Canadian citizen applying for the Canadian Platinum Card, you are required to have a minimum CAD$40,000 income, have not filed for bankruptcy for the past 7 years, and always made your monthly payments on time. Similarly, the U.K. American express card, specifies a minimum income of 65,000 euros.
Part 2Applying For The Platinum Card
1Choose an application method. It is possible to apply for the card online, or by phone, although online is quicker.
- To apply by phone, contact the Apply By Phone Team at 877-621-2639. They are open 24 hours a day. Once on the phone simply answer the questions, and be sure to have your social security number ready.
- To apply online, follow the remaining steps.
2Open the American Express website to begin your application. Choose the option for the Platinum Card and click "Apply now."
- If you have an existing American Express account, sign in. If you are a new customer, choose the option to create a new account.
- You must complete the American Express Platinum Card application in a single online session. Navigating away from the application or closing your browser will cause the application to time out for security reasons.
3Fill in the required information. Make sure to follow instructions carefully and not leave any required spaces blank.
- Enter your name as you want it to appear on the charge card.
- Enter your name, your email and home addresses, your social security number and your date of birth in the designated spaces in the personal data section. Provide any additional information requested on the Platinum Card application.
- Fill in the employment section with your company's name, city, state and business phone number.
- Proceed to the financial information section. Enter your total annual household income and choose the income source from the drop-down menu. Check the boxes to indicate whether you have a checking account and money market/savings account.
- Indicate whether you would like to obtain additional American Express Platinum Cards on your account and fill out the information requested for additional cardholders.
Verify your information and submit the application. American Express may notify you of a decision within 60 seconds. You should receive notification by mail within 10 days.
What is the purpose of a platinum card?
The purpose is the same as that of any other card. It may have certain features other cards don't have, but the "platinum" designation doesn't really mean much.
Which credit reporting agency are credit scores based on?
There are many scores available, each based on a unique formula involving the report(s) of one, two or all three credit-reporting agencies.
Would an American Express Platinum card help gain a better credit line then other cards?
No, charge cards calculate the same in mathematical credit scores. It may subjectively be more impressive to a lender than some other cards, though; for example, a mortgage lender. I would not get it for this purpose. Get it if the rewards will more than pay for themselves for how you use cards. If not, consider the Gold (more geared toward everyday purchases and dining, with a lower annual fee) or Green (fewer rewards in general, but also lower fee). All are calculated identically in FICO scoring.
Ask a Question
- Plan about 15 to 20 minutes to complete the charge card application.
- Look for special offers waiving the first year's membership fee or crediting your new American Express Platinum Card with significant bonus points.
- American Express Platinum is a charge card, not a credit card. You must pay your balance each month.
- Is laminating a certificate not good
- What is salesforce pardot
- Is Shabakism Islam or a separate religion
- How addicted to K pop are you
- What is the abbreviation for strategic
- What is an Ltd company
- How do social media apps go viral
- Is Obama coming here
- How do you write a perfect assignment
- Are dream jobs overrated
- Does ISRO recruit aerospace engineers
- Do wealthy people play Lotto
- What engineering companies are paying the most
- What creature has evolved the least
- Does a boy really need a girl
- What excites you most about artificial intelligence?no_redirect=1
- Do dairy cows get slaughtered
- You open mail in what order