You must register your business for Value Added Tax (VAT) if the total value of taxable goods or services is more than R1 million in a 12-month period, or is expected to exceed this amount.
A business may also register voluntarily if the income earned in the past 12-month period exceeded R50 000.
VAT is an indirect tax on the consumption of goods and services in the economy.
Submit the registration form to your local SARS branch within 21 days from date of exceeding R1 million.
VAT is levied at a standard rate of 15% on the supply of goods and services by registered vendors. There is a limited range of goods and services which are subject to VAT at the zero rate or are exempt from VAT.
Cancel VAT registration
You may apply to cancel your Value Added Tax (VAT) registration if the value of taxable supplies falls below the limit of R1 million, or if all business activities have stopped.
Your VAT registration will only be cancelled if the Commissioner is satisfied that your taxable supplies do not exceed R1 million or that you have discontinued the business.
You must notify South African Revenue Service (SARS) within 21 days of discontinuing your business.
Your business will remain liable for any outstanding VAT debts while it was registered as a vendor.
Find out more about how to:
- How can I make Visual Studio faster
- How do asset management firms make profit
- Why is IKEA shipping so expensive
- Is Banaras Hindu University an IIT
- What does citation mean
- What is the full form of OTCEI?no_redirect=1
- How often should an anxious person meditate
- What are the user demographics of SnapChat
- What are the ideology of Hindu religion
- What is some potential future technology
- Whats your opinion on comfort zones
- What is Fastag 2
- Which is better Salesforce or business intelligence
- What documentaries are similar to startup kids
- What is your review of OpenTable
- What is x 3 2
- How much are apartments monthly in canada
- What is the importance of email advice
- Is Muhammad Ali in hell
- Do you own a lot of things